Monday, April 19, 2010

Fire and earth...

Weeeelllll, back to the drawing board.  Did a pit firing last night.  Put in the two coil pots down on some stuff to make good coals.  I had wrapped them in foil to keep some seaweed tightly wrapped around them.  I was trying to get the salts to give me some color.  It was a real nice fire, and the coals lasted well into the night, so I uncovered it this morning to find .... nothing.  Better luck next time I guess.










Too hot too fast?  Maybe I should have put them in the oven at 350 degrees for a while before firing.  They have been sitting outside on a shelf for two weeks, exposed to the breeze - and the 90+ % humidity...
Oh well, try again.
Comments?

2 comments:

  1. Ah. Yes. Too damp inside of the clay walls. Extend your firing, for the authentic pit experience: set the pots just as they are on the side of a fire (not in!) for a couple of hours. Then they are totally bone dry. Then wrap, dump on your wood and all, stoke and roast! best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete