Well, I haven't sketched much of anything since I finished my art classes at college, so wanting to find a way to "make me" sketch, I joined in on the challenge that started Jan. 1st. I am more of a "hands on" kind of guy, so I decided to assemble my own sketchbook. I started with an empty textbook cover - it had never had any pages (lucky me) and a sheet of 120 lb cover stock.
I cut it to fit the inside of the cover, glued it down with good old Elmer's, then set my spiral bound 6x9" book in it to mark the spirals on the spine. Taking a very small drill bit, I drilled holes on either side of each spiral pair, the length of the spine. I used a 4.5' - 5' piece of dental floss - the flat ribbon type - and a curved needle to sew the cover onto the spirals.
I made sure I went around each spiral pair 3 times for extra strength. Once the book was secure to the cover, I needed something to cover the stitches on the outside of the spine. I remembered some very nice leather scraps I have had for years, and chose a nice golden yellow to contrast the hunter green of the textbook cover. Using a good contact cement, I attached the leather to the outside and folded it in - gluing down the edges. Now I just have to start sketching!